There’s you. And then there’s Party You. What does that mean for volunteering?
- You like understanding all the pieces that come together to make an idea work. You could be happy sorting those pieces or maybe you love really making them sing.
- PARTY YOU: “Did someone say guest list and invitations and delegating party-planning tasks? Yes, please!” [crunches headcount numbers to make sure there’s enough bags of ice]
- Think: court-appointed child advocate, intake volunteer for immigration clinics, guest house concierge
- Ready to see all administrative volunteer opportunities? Let's go.
Behind the Scenes
- You’re not interested in being front-and-center. You know important work is waiting behind the scenes, and you like to be the support (and heart) that makes stuff look good.
- PARTY YOU: You’re fine to hang back to help the host in the kitchen, put more chips in the chip bowl, and say hello while you bring out more food and drinks from the kitchen.
- Think: cat shelter sewing assistant, wheelchair donation pick-up driver, house warmer
- Ready to see all behind-the-scenes volunteer opportunities? Let's go.
- You naturally anticipate what needs exist and how to meet them. You feel especially helpful when you’re taking care of someone (or something!).
- PARTY YOU: You’re the first to ask the host what you can bring to the party. When you go to grab a refill, you can’t help but ask people around you: “Can I get anyone anything?”
- Think: women’s homeless shelter assistant, grief support volunteer, hospice massage therapist
- Ready to see all caregiving volunteer opportunities? Let's go.
- You value going deep with someone instead of sticking with small talk. You prefer to get to know someone one-on-one over the long-term.
- PARTY YOU: You skip the mingling and hunker down with someone in the corner of the crowd to have a conversation that goes beyond surface-level.
- Think: horse sidewalker, refugee cultural mentor, literacy tutor
- Ready to see all friendship volunteer opportunities? Let's go.
- You are energized by meeting new people and making them feel welcome. You’re a champion at making small talk and putting people at ease.
- PARTY YOU: You love mingling at parties, introducing people to each other, and being the first to give a friendly wave to the next person to walk in the door.
- Think: food club greeter, healing meals client liaison
- Ready to see all hospitality volunteer opportunities? Let's go.
- You prefer to be moving and work with your hands. You’re not one for desk work. You want to get up and maybe even be able to see what you’ve accomplished at the end of the day.
- PARTY YOU: You love parties that include a pick-up game of just-about-anything so everyone can have some fun outside!
- Think: food club stocking/repacking assistant, farmers’ market gleaner, cabinet shop assembler
- Ready to see all physical activity volunteer opportunities? Let's go.
- You love working with people, whether it’s one-on-one or a group. You’re energized by brainstorming sessions and the exchange of ideas and asking what people think.
- PARTY YOU: Parties are your sweet spot! You thrive on meeting new people and connecting with old friends. People grin when you show up, because you make everyone feel at ease.
- Think: disaster action team, safe-sex and safe-shot program educator
- Ready to see all people-person volunteer opportunities? Let's go.
- You love helping people understand and excel at something new. You have a knack for explaining things in a way that people seem to “get.”
- PARTY YOU: You’ve got everyone’s attention telling a story about “the next big thing” you just heard about.
- Think: computer instructor, home repair fix-it instructor, young adult art class helper
- Ready to see all the teaching volunteer opportunities? Let's go.
- You love speaking Spanish with people, whether you are fluent in the language or just learning the basics. You appreciate the food, music, and culture of the Spanish community and want to learn more.
- PARTY YOU: ¡Bienvenido a la fiesta! You welcome parties where English isn’t the primary language. You may not be an expert, but you’re willing to jump right in and give it your best try.
- Think: spanish interpreter, intake volunteer for immigration clinics, nurse assistant
- Ready to see all the speaking Spanish opportunities? Let’s go.